Lawsuit Settled Over Robert Pickton Murders

http://globalnews.ca/news/1212661/lawsuit-settled-over-robert-pickton-murders/

img_jason

VANCOUVER – The botched investigation into serial killer Robert Pickton has resulted in a settlement of $50,000 for each of the victims’ children who sued three levels of government and the RCMP.

Lawyer Jason Gratl said Monday that the deal involves 13 plaintiffs who filed civil lawsuits against the provincial and federal governments, the City of Vancouver and several Mounties.
Gratl, who represented the families, said the children of the murdered women took legal action reluctantly, but felt they had no choice when the governments didn’t act on a recommendation from a public inquiry to compensate them.

His clients are generally pleased with the settlement, Gratl said.

“It’s giving the children of missing women a leg up to try, in some small measure, to give them a chance to improve their lives, improve their prospects in the future. It was something worth doing.”

Eleven family members have accepted the proposal, one person is expected to respond shortly and B.C.’s public guardian must approve a settlement accepted by a boy who has not yet turned 18, Gratl said.

The agreement includes paying for children’s legal fees, but doesn’t come with an admission of liability, Gratl said.

Convicted serial killer Robert Pickton files defence in lawsuits, denies everything

VANCOUVER — Serial killer Robert Pickton continues to deny responsibility for the years he spent hunting sex workers in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, filing statements of defence in a series of lawsuits against him.

The families of several women whose DNA or remains were found on Pickton’s farm launched lawsuits earlier this year targeting Pickton, his brother David, and various levels of government.

Pickton, who was convicted in 2007 of six counts of second-degree murder and is believed to be responsible for deaths of dozens more, filed statements of defence from Kent Institution, the maximum-security prison near Agassiz, B.C., where he is serving a life sentence.

The documents don’t offer any details, but instead use a standard court template to deny liability.

“None of the facts in Part 1 of the notice of civil claim are admitted,” says one of the statements of defence, dated Nov. 29 and officially filed with the court this week.

“The defendant opposes the granting of the relief sought in all paragraphs of Part 2 of the notice of civil claim.”

Each statement of defence is punctuated by Pickton’s signature, with “Robert — William — Pickton” written in cursive and separated with hyphens.

The lawsuits were filed by the children of nine women whose remains or DNA were found on Pickton’s property after the serial killer’s arrest in February 2002.

Since his conviction, Pickton has repeatedly denied responsibility for killing Downtown Eastside sex workers, offering vague, rambling denials and suggesting someone else was to blame.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/convicted-serial-killer-robert-pickton-files-defence-in-lawsuits-denies-everything-1.1602897#ixzz2oLCeLbop

 

Fewer than half of Pickton inquiry recommendations ‘in progress’ or complete

Fewer than half of Pickton inquiry recommendations 'in progress' or complete
 Robert Pickton is shown in an artist’s drawing listening to the guilty verdict handed to him BC Supreme Court in New Westminster, Sunday, December 9, 2007. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Felicity Don

 

CANADIAN PRESS NOVEMBER 6, 2013

VANCOUVER – Nearly a year after a retired judge called for sweeping change to prevent another Robert Pickton, the British Columbia government has yet to implement the vast majority of his recommendations, with work started on only half of them.

The province has released a report this week outlining its progress in the 11 months since commissioner Wally Oppal issued dozens of recommendations designed to address the failures that allowed Pickton to target sex workers in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.

The government says work has started on 28 of Oppal’s recommendations, three of which are considered fully implemented. Half of Oppal’s recommendations that relate to the provincial government are not even addressed in this week’s status update.

But Oppal said he remains hopeful progress, though slow, will continue.

“I’m as impatient as anyone else, having lived with this for a better part of three years, but I’m trying to change a system that’s been in operation for a long time,” he said in an interview.

“Change, if it’s going to be meaningful and significant change, doesn’t come as quickly as some of us would like to see. I’d like to see it being done quicker, but on the other hand, you have to be realistic about it.”

Oppal’s December 2012 report identified a litany of “systemic” police failures that allowed Pickton to remain at large for so long, while also concluding that if his victims weren’t poor, drug-addicted women from the Downtown Eastside, more would have been done to save them.

He issued 65 recommendations, from additional services for vulnerable women to significant changes to the structure of policing in the province. Of those, 56 fell within the jurisdiction of the provincial government.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Fewer+than+half+Robert+Pickton+inquiry+recommendations/9133169/story.html#ixzz2ld85hTOP

BC Court of Appeal Disappoints with Carter v. Canada

The following was received from The Farewell Foundation:

October 10, 2013

 

BC Court of Appeal Disappoints with Carter v. Canada

 

In a 2-1 decision the BC Court of Appeal has overturned the ruling of the honourable Madam Justice L. Smith and determined that the criminal prohibition against assisted suicide complies with the Constitution of Canada. Former Chief Justice Lance Finch issued a stirring dissent.  The full ruling is at this link: http://farewellfoundation.ca/docs/2013_BCCA_435_Carter.pdf

“The decision makes a scapegoat of competent and rational individuals who wish to exercise the right to end their lives,” said Russel Ogden, a Director of the Farewell Foundation. “This was a lost opportunity that will hopefully be overturned by the Supreme Court of Canada.”  As an intervening party in the case, the Foundation was represented by lawyer Jason Gratl.

The two judges forming the majority decision said that the Supreme Court of Canada might consider constitutional exemptions as a possible remedy for individuals seeking assistance to die.  Madam Justice Saunders and Madam Justice Newbury suggested that any constitutional exemption ought to require not only a patient’s informed request, but also two medical opinions and an application for court approval.  Farewell Foundation believes that in a free country we can do better than requiring the permission of two doctors and court approval in order to die.

The Farewell Foundation will continue to support members with unassisted suicides in accordance with its Procedures for Attending Self-Chosen Death.  Farewell Foundation will be reviewing the Court of Appeal decision and intends to support the plaintiffs by applying to intervene in any appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The FAREWELL FOUNDATION Team

Farewell Foundation

322 – 720 6th Street

New Westminster, BC

V3L 3C5 Canada

(604) 521-1110

Web:   www.farewellfoundation.ca

Email:  info@farewellfoundation.ca

Blog:  www.farewellfoundation.ca/wordpress/

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/FarewellFoundation

Campbell River Woman Sues RCMP

http://hqcomoxvalley.com/news/news/v/Local/247996/Campbell-River-woman-sues-RCMP

Thursday, August 22, 2013 – 6:30 AM
By Nanette van Doorn
Campbell River

2013_campbell_river_marnie_frey

The 21 year old daughter of a Campbell River woman murdered by Robert Pickton has filed a civil lawsuit in the case of her mother’s death.

Brittney Frey has filed the suit against the Vancouver police, the RCMP, Prosecutors and Robert Pickton and his brother saying they all failed in protecting the public from a serial killer. Specifically, the notice of civil claim, filed on August 16, claims the authorities failed in their duty to investigate and crime and prosecute Pickton.

Brittney’s mother Marnie Frey went missing in September 1997. In 2007 Robert Pickton was convicted of second degree murder in her case and that of five other woman, and is serving a life sentence with no possibility of parole for 25 years.

Two other daughters of women murdered have filed claims similar to Brittney’s. In this civil claim Brittney and her lawyer, Jason Gratl, are asking for damaged from all the defendants.

The paperwork filed at the Supreme Court of B.C. describes Marnie as a compassionate woman who loved animals.

“She enjoyed spending time with friends and was generous with her time and resources,” the claim reads. It also states that Marnie became addicted to heroin in high school and struggled to finish rehab programs.

Brittney grew up in Campbell River with her grandparents and was often visited by her mother.

The claim reads that the defendants need to respond by 21 days of being served.

Photo courtesy of Vancouver Eastside Missing Women.